The valley of river Ammer - some views -

The benedictine monastery Ettal
The benedictine monastery Ettal

founded in 1330 by Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig der Bayer (Ludwig the Bavarian) for a group of knights and a community of Benedictine monks. During the 18th century the abbey was replaced with new buildings and now serves a school. Open to visitors, the original 10-sided church was brilliantly redecorated in 1744-53, becoming one of the foremost examples of Bavarian rococo. The church's main treasure is its enormous dome fresco (83 ft. wide), painted by Jacob Zeiller, 1751-1752.
A liqueur with legendary health-giving properties, made from a centuries-old recipe, is still distilled at the monastery by the monks. It is made with more than seventy mountain herbs. You can buy it from the small stall outside the monastery.

from Laber to Ettaler Mandl
The mountain track from "Laberjoch" (1.683m) to "Ettaler Mandl" (1.633m)

The Judashaus
The "Judashaus" (house of Judas) in Oberammergau

a chapel
One of numerous private chapels.
Often they were built in gratitude for an auspicious change

the Moorish Kiosk
Linderhof castle: The Moorish Kiosk

In the Ammer-moorlands
Any season the valley of the river Ammer attracts many visitors

 back

GLS 1998 - 2005
www.sonnhuegel.de